I'm in love. With my iPad. Seriously. You may barf when you read this but I just can't help myself. See, when I fall in love with something, I want the world to know. So listen up!
I have been wanting an iPad for a long time but always found myself saying things like, "I don't NEED one, I just WANT one." And then I graduated. And then I became an iPad owner. And everything changed.
You guys. Do you have an iPad? (I was beginning to believe I was the last person on earth to own one so the answer is probably, 'yes.' In which case, it's amazing, isn't it?). If not, please allow me point out some of the highlights I've appreciated thus far:
- The picture quality? Astounding. I found myself scrolling through all of my old pictures in awe. I can crop and zoom and enhance and... it's addictive.
- Reading. The pages are made to look like actual book pages... they actually FLIP when you turn the page. I've resisted e-books over 'real' books for a long, long time (minus the convenience factor when traveling) but this may change my thinking. I'll let you know.
- Magazines. They look like an actual magazine--only crisper. No zooming necessary. Wooooah.
- Apps: I'm quite certain I'm only playing around with the tip of the iceberg thus far but what I've already discovered, in terms of apps, is incredible. Here are my favorites right now: Pinterest (duh), Food Network On the Road (maybe I can check out a cool place that was featured on Food Network while I'm traveling), Flipboard (I keep up on all the latest news here), TED (all the TED talks in one easy place), TED BOOKS (!!!!! These. Are. Amazing. They're INTERACTIVE books in connection to the TED Talks! Seriously. Click a link in the text to see a video, hear a song, or see the actual TED talk. Amazing.), Rock Center (love the show, love the app), Happy Hours (obviously), Sworkit (work-outs on the road, no equipment required), Urbanspoon (food!), Find Starbucks (clearly), Where to Eat (more food!), The Weather Channel (the interactive app is so freaking cool), StumbleUpon (my interests, new websites, total time-suck...)... and that's only the beginning. I'm downloading new ones every hours, I feel like. And thus far, all the apps I've downloaded have been FREE. That's right, FREE.
- My email, my Facebook, my Twitter account, my blog... all available, all the time. Niiiiiice.
- I just discovered SlideShark which allows me to move my PowerPoints from my computer to my iPad. I'm still not sure how to get videos there but I'm working on it. I also bought the VGA adaptor so maybe, just maybe, I will get to a place where I only have to travel with my iPad, not my big honkin' 'puter. Maybe.
I could go on and on and really reveal my nerdy self to you but I'll resist. Let's just say that my iPad makes me happy. Especially as I sit here during a four-hour layover in Seattle. On a Monday.
Cheers, my fellow geeky friends!