So I've been on a bit of a 'downward spiral' this week... My work-life balance got so far out of whack that I lost control. Of everything. My diet. My work-outs. My calendar. My nails. My flossing. My self-talk. My sleep. My meals. My politeness. My reading. All of it. And you know how fond I am of 'control.'
Sooooooooo... here's where I switch gears. And I stop the spiral. Time to take a different view of the world.
I'm starting here. With some random positive thoughts as they come to me... I am committing to at least five.
1. Today when I returned to my hotel room after my workshop, all I wanted was carbs and sleep. And lots of both. Maybe in cycles. I envisioned eating some carbs, sleeping, waking up to eat more carbs, going back to bed, waking up to room service carbs... you get the idea... BUT I didn't give in. Somehow, someway, by some outside force greater than me, I resisted. I put my phone down, closed my computer, put on my tennis shoes and shorts and headed outside. And I walked. For forty glorious minutes. In the warm Florida sunshine. And I breathed.... which is something that I hadn't done since Monday, I'm quite sure. And wow, it worked. Forty minutes later I returned to my hotel room and to my inbox a new woman. Why, oh why, can't I remember that all. the. time.????
2. Have you flown on Delta lately? 'Cause the safety video is priceless. PRICELESS. They've added HUMOR (smart humor) and I found myself actually paying attention. For example, when the part of the speech comes up about only using approved electronic devices, they cut to a scene of a little old woman who is sitting in her middle seat on the plane, looking up the approved devices on the safety card, and when she sees that a 'boom box' is NOT allowed, she pouts, shakes her head, and removes her very large, very old-school boom box from her lap and places it under the seat in front of her. Classic.
3. I'm in Florida right now. And on the way to today's workshop I passed a petting zoo, a horse farm, multiple Dunkin Donuts, palm trees, and a guy parked on the side of the road selling 'gator jerky' out of the back of his truck. Awe-some. These are not sights I see at home. Traveling is good.
4. Let's go back to Dunkin Donuts for a minute. Whhhhhhy do we not have these in Denver? Whhhhhhy, I ask you, whhhhhy??????? They serve the best. damn. flavored. coffee. in the world. Flavored straight from heaven, I swear. I stopped for vanilla on the way to the workshop and hazelnut on the way home. And I plan to do it again tomorrow. I wonder if I can sneak out for lunch, too?
5. Tomorrow is Friday and that means that tomorrow night I'll be in my bed, with my man and my dog. And on Saturday? I'll be in a small theater with my man and Flava Flav. And his giant necklace clock. Yeeeeeaaahhhhh boy!!!!!!
Yup. Forcing myself to write that out worked as well as the walk did. I'm a whole new woman now. Phew.